Wednesday, January 25, 2006

 

The Face of the River


"The face of the river, in time, became a wonderful book ... which told its mind to me without reserve, delivering its most cherished secrets as clearly as if it had uttered them with a voice. And it was not a book to be read once and thrown aside, for it had a new story to tell every day." (Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi)


Cache Creek, at the confluence with Bear Creek. Takeout for the Wilderness Run. (Photos by BruceT, panorama of 3 images by JimH)

These words from Mark Twain hit me like a bolt of lightning every time I read them. The astonishing beauty of the dynamic river environment is that it always has a new story to tell. Every day of kayaking on the river is a unique and special experience for me. The river provides a beautiful book that is always right there for everybody to read, but we each need to reach out and expand our powers to look, listen and feel in order to fully understand its meaning.

More about: River Philosophy & River Quotes.

Tags: .

Labels:


Comments:
What a terrific Twain quote! I may need to use this one in a post on my blog too. Here is one of my own favorite Twainism's:
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did. So throw off the bowlines. Explore. Dream. Discover." M. Twain
DSD
"Summit-Stones" at Blogger.com
 
Hi Bruce,
Thanks again for that Twain quote. Thought I would let you know it made its way into a new post on one of my blogs.
DSD
"Summit Stones & Adventure Musings"
at Blogger.com
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?