Thursday, July 30, 2009
San Francisco Bay Area Creeks & Rivers - California Whitewater Paddlesports Overview.
Kayaking, Rafting & Canoeing Paddleboating Guide - California, USA.The greater San Francisco Bay Area comprises San Pablo Bay in the north and San Francisco Bay in the south.
Jump down to: Petaluma River, Napa River, Alameda Creek, Coyote Creek, Guadalupe River.
SF Bay Area North - San Pablo Bay - Petaluma River, Napa River Whitewater Boating access locations.A. Petaluma River. (class I, 14 miles) Sonoma County, California, USA. (See map below.)
N 38.23599 W 122.64030 - Washington St Bridge put-in (A)
N 38.23468 W 122.63724 - Petaluma River Turning Basin put-in.
N 38.22861 W 122.61390 - Petaluma Marina put-in.
N 38.11511 W 122.50683 - Port Sonoma put-in.
N 38.11038 W 122.49872 - Black Point take-out.
The Petaluma River is entirely a tidal estuary, so the flow reverses with the ebb and flow of the tide.
• Petaluma River at Petaluma - USGS Real-Time Flow Data. N 38.23833 W 122.63917
• Tide chart for San Pablo Bay should be consulted before paddling on the Petaluma River.
B. Napa River Upper Run. (class II, very brushy, 18 miles) (See Napa River Boating Guide.)
• Napa River nr St Helena - USGS Real-Time Flow Data. N 38.51139 W 122.45473
• Napa River nr Napa - USGS Real-Time Flow Data. N 38.36833 W 122.30223
Napa River Lower Run. (class I, 10.5 miles) Napa County, California, USA. (See map below.)
N 38.32494 W 122.28390 - Trancas Street bridge put-in (B)
N 38.22476 W 122.30873 - Cuttings Wharf take-out.
Napa River is a tidal estuary from City of Napa to the bay.
• Tide chart for San Pablo Bay should be consulted before paddling on the lower Napa River.
SF Bay Area South - San Francisco Bay - Alameda Creek, Coyote Creek, Guadalupe River Whitewater Boating access locations.
C. Alameda Creek. (class III, 5 miles) Alameda County, California, USA. (See map below.)
N 37.59514 W 121.90340 - Sunol railroad bridge put-in (C)
N 37.58701 W 121.96101 - Flow Data for Alameda Creek nr Niles CA.
N 37.57832 W 121.96858 - Old Canyon Rd Bridge take-out. (elevation ~100 ft)
D. Coyote Creek. (class III, 12 miles) Santa Clara County, California, USA. (See map below.)
N 37.18094 W 121.50235 - MF Coyote Ck, Poverty Flat put-in for 12 mile class III run (D)
N 37.10215 W 121.47291 - Gilroy Hot Springs Rd put-in for 5 mile class II run.
N 37.07778 W 121.49334 - Flow Data for Coyote Creek nr Gilroy CA.
N 37.07668 W 121.51274 - Coyote Lake take-out.
Coyote Creek. (class I, ~6 miles) Santa Clara County, California, USA.
N 37.33229 W 121.86602 - William Street Park put-in.
N 37.35597 W 121.87408 - Watson Park 2.3 mile take-out.
N 37.42362 W 121.92545 - Milpitas Alviso Road take-out and gauge.
N 37.42222 W 121.92639 - Flow Data for Coyote Creek ab Hwy 237 at Milpitas CA.
N 37.46566 W 121.94447 - Dixon Landing Rd take-out.
This lower run ends within the tidal estuary, so consult the tide chart for the ebb and flow of tide.
• Tide chart for San Francisco Bay.
E. Guadalupe River. (class II, 12 miles) Santa Clara County, California, USA. (See map below.)
N 37.25076 W 121.87039 - put-in Blossom Hill Road bridge (E)
N 37.28396 W 121.88220 - Flow Data for Guadalupe River ab Almaden Expressway.
N 37.37389 W 121.93195 - Flow Data for Guadalupe River abv Hwy 101.
N 37.39614 W 121.94103 - Montague Expressway bridge take-out.
SF Bay Area River Map for paddleboaters.• Instructions for online interactive topographic river maps & road maps.
• Point or DoubleClick on the red markers to see the names of landmarks displayed below (A, B, etc.).
• Full-Screen River Map & Road Map - landmarks on SF Bay Area Rivers.
Driving Directions, Map, Distance, Estimated Time & Road Conditions.Mapquest provides directions, distance & time from your house to the river.
• For example: Davis, CA to San Francisco, CA - driving time 1 hour 21 mins - 73 miles.
California Road Conditions (Delays or closures due to weather, construction, etc.)
• California Travel Information - highwayconditions.com.
• Road Conditions - California Dept Transportation.
Local weather in San Francisco, CA (elevation 49 feet).
SF Bay Area River Guides for Whitewater Boating.• West Coast River Touring - Rogue River Canyon and South, 1974. (pg. 182-184 Napa River)
• Ann Dwyer's Easy Waters of California North, 2000. (pg. 40-41 Napa River, pg. 44-45 Petaluma River)
• Online guides & river flow data: Petaluma River Directory, Napa River Directory, Alameda Creek Directory, Coyote Creek Directory, Guadalupe River Directory. (Sort alphabetically - see section 1.)
SF Bay Area River paddleboating reports NEEDED !!• Please send your trip reports from SF Bay Area River & Creek white water boating trips. Stories, pictures & videos from boating trips will be linked here.
• Coyote Creek - Western Waters Canoe Club.
• Guadalupe River - Western Waters Canoe Club.
Outdoor Activities & Environmental Protection in our Beautiful River Valley Watersheds.• Petaluma River Directory, Napa River Directory, Alameda Creek Directory, Coyote Creek Directory, Guadalupe River Directory. Websites for SF Bay Area Rivers & Creeks. (1&2=kayaking-rafting-canoeing-paddlesports, 3=conservation-environment, 4=fishing, 5=camping-hiking, 6=other-websites)
Additional Information on California Rivers & Creeks:
• Nearby rivers: Central & South Coast California River Paddleboating Guides.
• Rivers statewide: Whitewater River Guides for California Kayaking, Canoeing & Rafting.
IceRocket Tags: kayaking, river map.
Tags: Petaluma River, Napa River, Alameda Creek, Coyote Creek, Guadalupe River, California, canoeing, paddle boating, kayaking, paddlesport, whitewater, river.