Tuesday, April 26, 2011
Trailheads for Muir Woods National Monument - Marin County, northern California USA.
Road maps, driving directions, & trail maps for planning your trip to Muir Woods.Most visitors to Muir Woods National Monument enter via the main entrance at the Visitor Center (near Mill Valley, CA). See my trip report: Hiking to see the redwood trees at Muir Woods National Monument 24dec2010 and Steve Eulberg's music video Muir Woods Redwood Forest Cathedral.
Muir Woods is entirely surrounded by Mount Tamalpais State Park, so State Park trailheads can also be used as alternate starting points for access to Muir Woods.
Map of trailheads in and around Muir Woods National Monument.• Map user FAQ. The map is interactive. Click and drag to reposition map.
• The tool on the left zooms in and out. Point at the red markers to see their names.
• Buttons: Map = road map. Terrain = 3D shaded topo map. Topo = topographic map.
• Full-Screen Map: Muir Woods National Monument and Mount Tamalpais State Park.
Geographic coordinates - Landmarks (elevation)
N 37.89392 W 122.57313 - Muir Woods Visitor Center (elevation 200 ft.)
N 37.90999 W 122.57721 - Mountain Home trailhead (elevation 925 ft.)
N 37.90845 W 122.60292 - Bootjack Picnic Area (elevation 1460 ft.)
N 37.90364 W 122.60425 - Pantoll Ranger Station (elevation 1500 ft.)
• "The Mountain Home Trailhead is one of the back doors to Muir Woods, as well as one of the easiest trailheads to reach on Mount Tam." (Bay Area Hiker: Mountain Home-Muir Woods Loop)
• Muir Woods via the Bootjack Trail - tommangan everytrail "The out-and-back hike along the Bootjack Trail, plus a couple miles of wandering at the Monument, should yield about six miles of heaven under the big trees."
• "There are two drive-in picnic areas on Mt. Tam: Bootjack Picnic Area and East Peak Picnic Area. Both sites have picnic tables, rest rooms, and running water." (Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy :: Mount Tamalpais)
• "Maps available (for a fee) at the Pantoll Ranger Station. Restrooms, water, and pay phone next to ranger station." (Bay Area Hiker: Pantoll Trailhead, Mount Tamalpais)
• Muir Woods Trail Map pdf - National Park Service. This simple map may be helpful for planning your trip and guiding you along the trails as you hike.
• Mapquest - Muir Woods National Monument. Road map and driving directions.
More about hiking trails in California:
• Hiking trails in Marin County - Marin Wiki.
• California Hiking Trails Directory - Statewide Information.
• California Maps - Atlas & Gazetteer by Delorme, 2008.
IceRocket Tags: Muir Woods National Monument, Mount Tamalpais State Park, hiking, Marin County, Mill Valley CA, California.
Tags: travel, outdoors, redwood trees, photography, landscape photography.