Tuesday, October 09, 2007
Bear River Lower Run - Ben Taylor to Dog Bar
Whitewater River Guide & Maps - California
Recent Flows on Bear River.1. Dreamflows - Bear River flows at Hwy 174 (just upstream from this segment).
2. The gauge shown below is quite far downstream. Does anybody know if this gauge ever has any predictive value for flows on the whitewater sections upstream?
3. In the spring when other Sierra rivers are flowing strong it may be worth just taking a chance on going to this segment in case it is running. Have a backup plan in case the flow in the Bear River is not sufficient when you get there.
River Difficulty vs. Flow Rate.class . . flow (cfs)
II+ . . . 200 - 1200
Description - Bear River Lower Run - Ben Taylor to Dog Bar.Nice run for class II boaters. Dams, diversions and tunnels that transfer water from one watershed to another make it hard to predict when this river segment will have boatable flows. (Nevada County / Placer County, California, USA).
Driving Directions, Distance, Estimated Time & Road Conditions.Mapquest provides directions, distance & time from your house to the river.
* From Davis, CA to Colfax, CA - driving time 1 hour, 3 minutes.
California Road Conditions (Delays or closures due to weather, construction, etc.)
* California Travel Information - highwayconditions.com.
* Road Conditions - California Dept Transportation.
Topographic River Map, Road Map & Local Business Search.• The map below is interactive - click and drag on the map to adjust the location.
• Point or DoubleClick on the red markers below to see their names.
• Use the tool on the left to zoom and pan.
• Click on the Map button for a road map, Topo button for topographic map.
• Click on Google logo for road map & local business search (gas, food, camping).
• Full screen topo map and coordinates of additional landmarks - see below.
• Topographic map user instructions.
Topographic River Map.A=Put-in. B=Takeout.
Full-Screen Topographic Map: Bear River.
River Landmarks - Geographic Coordinates.
Copy/paste the coordinates below into the search box at Google Maps or into the Find box at Acme Mapper.
* N 39.10978 W 120.98784, Ben Taylor Road - Put-in (A).
* N 39.06268 W 121.00288, Dog Bar Road - Take-out (B).
* N 39.04429 W 121.01183, Peaceful Valley Road - alternate take-out (C).
* N 39.05000 W 121.31700, CDEC gauge at outflow of Camp Far West Dam (D).
Local weather in Colfax, California.
Online River Guides & River Flow Data for Paddle Boating.• Bear River Directory.
(Display options - alphabetical 100. See section 1.)
Printed Guidebooks - Bear River white water.• Sierra Whitewater - A Paddler's Guide ... 1974. (pg. 60-67)
• Paddling Northern California- book by Charlie Pike. (pg. 204-206)
• Ann Dwyer's Easy Waters of California North, 2000. (pg. 186-187)
• California River Maps - Atlas & Gazetteer by Delorme, 2008.
Whitewater River Trip Reports NEEDED !!• I'm happy to post well-written, whitewater boating trip reports from guest authors, especially if boating pictures are included. Please contact me to submit your trip report.
River Recreation Links - Bear River.• Bear River Recreation & Conservation Directory. Website resources for the entire Bear River watershed. Outdoor recreation: kayaking, innertubing, camping, hiking. (Display options - alphabetical 100. Section 1=whitewater, 2=rafting, 3=conservation, 4=fishing, 5=camping-hiking, 6=local-info)
• Using the white water river paddleboating guides - BRT Kayaking.
• Rivers & creeks nearby: (Yuba River, Lavezzola Creek, Pauley Creek), American River NF/MF, Sacramento River Valley Region.
• River Guides for California Whitewater.
Tags: kayaking, paddle boating, river map, river, California, whitewater.