Tuesday, January 08, 2008
Using Topographic Maps from Acme Mapper
Interactive online maps to locate whitewater rivers, shuttle roads, put-ins & take-outs, rapids, campgrounds, trailheads, etc.Acme Mapper provides an incredible trip planning resource, providing topographic maps, road maps and satellite maps. These are great for advance planning of trips and for trip reports after the adventure.
• The maps are interactive - click and drag on the map to adjust the location.
• Point or DoubleClick on the red markers to see their names.
• Use the tool on the left to zoom and pan.
• Click on the Map button for a road map, Topo button for topographic map.
• Click on the spinning globe to minimize the green box.
• Click on Google logo for road map & local business search (gas, food, camping).
Complete instructions:Using Acme Mapper.
Quick instructions:* Find the map location for a set of coordinates or a named location
enter the coordinates in the Find box
click on the Find button - the map will be re-centered on the coordinates
enter name of the desired location into the Find box
(use 2 letter abbreviations for States in the US
(e.g. Sacramento, CA or Lake Tahoe, CA)
click on the Find button - the map will be re-centered on the desired location
* To find the coordinates for a map location
double-click on the desired map location, the map will center on that location and the coordinates will be in the brown box next to the Mark button
* Click on the Map (= road map), Satellite, and Topo (= topographic map) buttons to switch between different styles of map.
* Only the largest rivers are visible on the road map. View rivers and creeks using the topo map.
* Click on the Google logo to switch to the Google Maps interface. This includes a local business search function (gas, food, camping, etc.) and driving directions together with the same road map and satellite map that the Acme Mapper interface provides (but no topo map). Google Maps also has a search box that will accept either place names or coordinates.
* Print your map if needed to carry with you on the journey.
Use File menu - Print preview to check the map orientation before printing
Then print it out!!
Whitewater River Guides - California.
Posting Topographic Maps from Acme Mapper on your Site.
Tags: rivers, kayaking, whitewater
Comments: Post a Comment