Monday, February 11, 2008
Restore the Klamath River - Feb 2008 Update
Does the draft agreement provide enough protection for the fish?The chairman of the Hoopa Valley Tribe is critical of the draft agreement for Klamath River restoration. "Water rights are upside down in the agreement. The agreement guarantees water for Bureau of Reclamation project irrigators and refuge users, while Hoopa and Yurok senior fishing rights, dating back to 1855 and 1864, are not guaranteed. The agreement puts all the drought-year risks on the fish." (Fish are key to deal on Klamath - Sacramento Bee 10feb2008)
PacifiCorp has not yet agreed to remove their obsolete Klamath River damsPacifiCorp's failure to participate in the last two years of Klamath River restoration negotiations is an obstacle to progress.
For more information:
• Klamath River restoration blocked by Warren Buffet's PacifiCorp 28jan2008.
• Klamath River Conservation Directory - environment, commercial fishermen, Native Americans, agriculture, & news. All of the organizations involved in the Klamath River restoration (72 sites described).
• Klamath River Basin Recreation Directory - Siskiyou, Humboldt & Del Norte Counties in California, Klamath County in Oregon. Kayaking, rafting, canoeing, birding, hiking, camping (48 sites described).
• California River Conservation and Water Supply Policy Sacramento CA.
• Salmon for Savings on the Klamath River.
Tags: dam, water, water supply, water policy.