Friday, November 05, 2010
Sacramento River - Redding to Red Bluff - Whitewater Paddleboating in California USA.
River Kayaking, Canoeing, Tubing & Rafting Guide - Shasta County & Tehama County.
Paddle Boating on the lower Sacramento River.Below Lake Shasta the Sacramento River from Redding to Red Bluff provides 56 miles of "big water" class I-II boating with year-round flows. Many areas of the river outside of the urban areas have very good scenery and wildlife viewing opportunities.
Run name (whitewater class, mileage)(coordinates of access points).
1. Keswick Dam to Ball's Ferry (class I-II, 22 miles) (N 40.60998 W 122.44597)
2. Ball's Ferry to Red Bluff (class I-II, 34 miles) (N 40.41716 W 122.19337)
Real-time Flow Data - Sacramento River.This river run is fed by the water release from Keswick Dam.
Flow site: USGS 11370500 real-time flow - release from Keswick Dam.
River Map showing put-in locations for Sacramento River paddleboating.• The map is interactive. Click and drag to reposition map. Map user FAQ.
• Point on the red markers to see their names. Use the tool on the left to zoom in and out.
• Map button = road map. Terrain = 3D shaded topo map. Topo = topographic map.
• Full-Screen River Map: Sacramento River Redding to Red Bluff put-in & take-out locations.
Geographic coordinates - Landmark name (marker on map)
N 40.60998 W 122.44598 - Keswick Dam (A).
N 40.59140 W 122.37328 - Turtle Bay Bird Sanctuary (B).
N 40.47212 W 122.26882 - Anderson River Park (C).
N 40.41715 W 122.19337 - Ball's Ferry (D).
N 40.38614 W 122.19779 - Reading Island (E).
N 40.26433 W 122.22410 - Bend Ferry Rd Bridge (F).
N 40.25615 W 122.19930 - Chinese Rapids (G).
N 40.24475 W 122.17604 - Iron Canyon (H).
N 40.19723 W 122.22462 - William B. Ide Adobe State Historic Park (I).
N 40.15493 W 122.20307 - Red Bluff Diversion Dam Recreation Area (J).
Driving Directions, Distance, Estimated Time & Road Conditions.Mapquest provides directions, distance & time from your house to the river.
• From Davis, CA to Redding, CA - driving time 2 hours 24 minutes - 157 miles.
California Road Conditions (Delays or closures due to weather, construction, etc.)
• California Travel Information - highwayconditions.com.
• Road Conditions - California Dept Transportation.
Local weather in Redding, California (elevation 557 feet).
Online Boating Information - Sacramento River.• Sacramento River Lower Runs Paddleboating. (Set display options - alphabetical 100. See sections 1 & 2.)
Paddleboating Guidebooks - Sacramento River.• Paddling Northern California by Charlie Pike 2001. (pg. 105-123, Redding to Colusa, 154 miles)
• Ann Dwyer's Easy Waters of California North, 2000. (pg. 164-175, Redding to Sacramento, 238 miles)
• Down the Wild Rivers- A Guide to the Streams of California, 1972. (pg.156-166, Redding to Knight's Landing, ~194 miles)
Sacramento River Paddleboating Trip Reports NEEDED !!Contact me to submit your boating trip report. I'm happy to post or link to well-written, paddle boating trip reports from guest authors, especially if boating pictures and/or videos are included.
• Sacramento River kayaking - Anderson to Balls Ferry - KenD 13oct2010.
• Behaving Like Salmon on the Sacramento River - Adventure Sports Journal 22oct2009.
• Rafting down the Sacramento River from Redding - purejoy 28aug2008.
• Sacramento River Bend Ferry to Red Bluff pictures - wildenhaus100 17july2005.
• Sacramento River kayaking photos - a601mom 17aug2004.
Whitewater River Conservation & Recreation.• Sacramento River Lower Runs Conservation & Recreation Directory. (Section 1=whitewater, 2=rafting, 3=conservation, 4=fishing, 5=camping-hiking, 6=local-info) Sacramento River valley websites.
• Sacramento River Paddleboating Guide Overview.
• California Whitewater River Guides for kayaking, tubing, canoeing & rafting.
• California River Maps & Road Maps - Atlas & Gazetteer by Delorme, 2008.
IceRocket Tags: kayaking, canoeing, rafting, river tubing, float tube, whitewater, river map.
Tags: paddle boating, river, valley, Sacramento River, Shasta County, Tehama County, California.