Wednesday, December 05, 2012
Sugarloaf Ridge State Park hiking, Sonoma Creek Falls, Sonoma County, California
After a big rainstorm JimH and I hiked the trail to Sonoma Creek Falls at Sugarloaf Ridge State Park.
Sugarloaf Ridge State Park Trail Maps.• PDF map: Sugarloaf Ridge State Park map pdf.
• Map book: California Maps - Atlas and Gazetteer by Delorme, 2008.
• Online map user instructions. Click and drag to reposition this interactive map.
• The tool on the left zooms in and out. Point on the red markers to see the names.
• Map=roads. Satellite=satellite map. Terrain=3D shaded topo map. Topo=topographic map.
• Full-Screen online map - Sugarloaf Ridge State Park.
Double-click on the photos to see the larger view. Use the back button to return.
Trip ReportWe hiked the Canyon Trail down to Sonoma Creek Falls. This trail goes through a shady green forest filled with mosses, ferns, fungi and lichens. Sonoma Creek Falls were filled with water from the rainstorms of the past few days.
Then we climbed up the Pony Gate Trail. This part of the trail has shady sections and some sunny sections with some good views from higher elevation.
Then we hiked down the Stern Trail to loop back to the trailhead. (Stern Trail is also part of the Bay Area Ridge Trail.) This gravel road is entirely in the sun and provides lots of long distance views of the landscape.
• Sonoma Creek Falls - JimH photos
• Sugarloaf Ridge State Park - BRT photos
Sonoma Creek Falls video
Coming HomeOn the way home we made our traditional stop at Betty Lou's Bar and Grill in Vacaville, CA. The daily special of turkey soup, salad, dark beer and persimmon pudding with lemon sauce was just what we needed after a brisk day of hiking.
• Waterfall Hiking in California - websites - BRT Insights.
• Hiking Trails in California - Davis Wiki.
• Hiking, Biking & Camping Trip Reports and Photos - BRT Insights.
• Digital Camera: Canon PowerShot A490. Photos edited with IrfanView and Pixtra PanoStitcher software.
Tags: hiking, trail, waterfalls, Sonoma Creek Falls, Sonoma County, California.