Thursday, June 28, 2007
American River Parkway - Lower Run - Paddleboating in Sacramento CA
Whitewater River Guide & Maps for kayaking, tubing, canoeing & rafting.This run through the American River Parkway is fed by the release from Folsom Dam (Sacramento County, California, USA). The "remarkable scenic, recreational, geologic, fish and wildlife, historic, cultural or other similar values" of the American River are protected within the USA National Wild & Scenic Rivers Program.
River Flow Data.
This gauge is right in the middle of the run, so the flow it measures is pretty much exactly the flow you are boating on at that time.
River Difficulty vs. Flow Rate.
|class *||flow (cfs)|
|II-||1000-6000||Mostly class I with two class II rapids.|
|III||>10000||Fast current, cold water, strainer hazards.|
Distance: Sailor Bar to Howe Ave = 14 miles.
Driving Directions, Distance, Estimated Time & Road Conditions.Mapquest provides directions, distance & time from your house to the river.
* From Davis, CA to Gold River, CA - driving time 35 minutes.
California Road Conditions (Delays or closures due to weather, construction, etc.)
* California Travel Information - highwayconditions.com.
* Road Conditions - California Dept Transportation.
Topographic River Map, Road Map & Local Business Search.• The map below is interactive - click and drag on the map to adjust the location.
• Point or DoubleClick on the red markers below to see their names.
• Use the tool on the left to zoom and pan.
• Click on the Map button for a road map, Topo button for topgraphic map.
• Click on Google logo for road map & local business search (gas, food, camping).
• Full screen topo map and coordinates of additional landmarks - see below.
• Topographic map user instructions.
Topographic River Map.Full-Screen Topo Map: American River Lower Run. Try both the Map view and the Topo view on the maps!!
River Landmarks - Geographic Coordinates. (WGS-84 datum)
(A)(B)(C) locations are marked on the Acme Mapper topo map above.
* N 38.63390 W 121.23349, Put-in, Sailor Bar (A).
* N 38.63350 W 121.26915, Sunrise Blvd Bridge (B).
* N 38.62029 W 121.28717, El Manto Ave (C).
* N 38.63032 W 121.29318, San Juan Rapids (class II-) (D).
* N 38.58833 W 121.32906, Arden Rapid (class II-) (E).
* N 38.57974 W 121.34114, Take-out, Harrington (F)
* N 38.56649 W 121.37167, Waterton Way Access (G)
* N 38.56692 W 121.38275, Take-out, Watt Ave Bridge (H).
* N 38.56025 W 121.40931, Howe Ave Bridge (I).
(Major rapids on the run are rated above at low-med flows.)
Copy/paste these coordinates into the Search box at Google Maps or into the Find box at ACME Mapper.
Site of Eppie's Great Race - run-cycle-paddle triathlon on the American River Parkway.• Eppie's Great Race. Run, bike, paddle triathlon. Held annually along the scenic American River Parkway in Rancho Cordova and Sacramento. It's the largest paddling event in the U.S.
• Eppie's Great Race kayaking - 01july2009 Put-in at Lower Sunrise Recreation Area, gps map 5.8 miles.
• Eppie's Great Race kayaking - SBeckner80 25aug2009 Put-in at Lower Sunrise Recreation Area, gps map 6.0 miles.
• Eppie's Great Race - Facebook. Eppie's Great Race is the Sacramento area's best known run-cycle-paddle triathlon. The event raises funds for the Sacramento County Therapeutic Recreation Services that serves local mentally and physically challenged individuals.
Photos & Videos from Eppie's Great Race• 36th Eppie's Great Race 2009 - Photo Galleries - sacbee.com.
• Eppie's Great Race 2009 pictures, photos, and videos, - rutohi2 2009.
• 2009 Eppies Great Race pictures from sports photos - craigtanner3.
• 2007 Eppies Great Race pictures from kayaking photos - craigtanner3.
• Eppies Great Race 2009- Good Day Sacramento! Video by Dave.
Great Race 2009 pictures - rutohi2 30july2009
• 2005 Eppie's Great Race photos - curnutt.org
• Eppie's Great Race 2007 - photos - Worldisround 2007
• Eppies Great Race 2007 Video - 912in916.
• Eppie's Great Race videos - eppiesgreatrace1's Channel
• Eppie's Great Race Sets Participation Record - kcratv 23july2007
Local weather in Sacramento, California.
Online River Guides & River Flow Data for Paddle Boating.• American - Rel Lake Natoma - CA Sierra West Slope - Dreamflows.
• American River Parkway Directory.
(Display options - alphabetical 100. See section 1.)
Printed Maps & Guidebooks - American River Parkway paddleboating.• Paddling Northern California, Charlie Pike 2001. (pg. 152-158)
• Western Whitewater From the Rockies to the Pacific, 1994. (pg. 355)
• Boating Trail Guide to the American River Parkway. Chart of float time vs. flow rate, river map with access points.
• Ann Dwyer's Easy Waters of California North, 2000. (pg. 194-195)
• Sierra Whitewater - A Paddler's Guide ... 1974. (pg. 96-97)
• California River Maps - Atlas & Gazetteer by Delorme, 2008.
Whitewater Trip Reports.* Sea Kayaking the lower American River Parkway - Paddle California 05nov2010.
* American River Kayak Trip photos - dkend 26sept2010.
* San Juan Rapids video - syubar 09mar2010.
* Kayaking the American River Parkway video - SacBee 01july2009.
* Kayaking on a class I+ river by moonlight 01july2007.
River Recreation Links - American River Parkway.* American River Parkway Recreation Directory. (Display options - alphabetical 100. Section 1=whitewater, 2=rafting, 3=conservation, 4=fishing, 5=camping-hiking, 6=local-info)
Float Tubing - Innertubing.• Float Tube (Innertube) Skills, Techniques and Safety for your River Trips.
• Equipment for Float Tubing - BRT Insights.
• Use of these white guides to water river kayaking and rafting - BRT Insights.
• Nearby streams: Sacramento River Valley Region.
• California Whitewater River Guides for kayaking & rafting.
IceRocket Tags: kayaking, river tubing, float tube.
Tags: kayaking, California, river map, American River, American River Parkway, paddle boating, river, whitewater.
I love the maps you have incorporated into your blog. I will be trying to do the same soon.