Saturday, October 04, 2008
California Rivers Protected in the National Wild & Scenic Rivers Program.
|The National Wild & Scenic Rivers Program protects 15 rivers in California, including many of their tributaries. The list below includes all of the primary 15 rivers (•) and only a few of the protected tributaries (*) that are well-known for kayaking. All of these rivers are also protected in the California State Wild and Scenic Rivers Program.|
Wild & Scenic River locations - California.• River map user instructions.
• Full screen river map - see below.
Full-screen map: National Wild & Scenic River locations in California.
• American River - Lower (N 38.63670 W 121.22174) (A).
• American River NF (N 39.10076 W 120.92495) (B).
• Big Sur River (N 36.24417 W 121.68129) (C).
• Black Butte River (N 39.72843 W 122.94341) (D).
• Eel River (N 40.35773 W 123.92012) (E).
* Van Duzen River (N 40.48907 W 123.62629) (F).
• Feather River MF (N 39.81500 W 120.38286) (G).
• Kern River NF (N 35.79296 W 118.45081) (H).
Kern River SF (N 35.84641 W 118.21508) (I).
• Kings River (N 36.83818 W 118.87503) (J).
• Klamath River (N 41.92936 W 122.44314) (K).
* Cal Salmon River (N 41.25690 W 123.32325) (L).
* Scott River (N 41.76440 W 123.01864) (M).
* Wooley Creek (N 41.38930 W 123.41629) (N).
• Merced River (N 37.65488 W 119.88513) (O).
• Sespe Creek (N 34.55846 W 119.26393) (P).
• Sisquoc River (N 34.82483 W 119.98242) (Q).
• Smith River (N 41.79531 W 124.05775) (R).
• Trinity River (N 40.72479 W 122.80144) (S).
* New River (N 40.86394 W 123.45792) (T).
• Tuolumne River (N 37.83677 W 120.05362) (U).
I have kayaked on parts of 10 different Wild & Scenic rivers in California (American-Lower, Eel, Van Duzen, Feather MF, Klamath, Merced, Smith, Trinity, New, Tuolumne).
• Wild and Scenic Rivers in California - Additions to the USA National Program 27mar2009.
• Wild and Scenic Rivers, California - Public Lands Information Center.
• River Conservation & Water Supply Policy in California - BRT Insights.
• USA Wild and Scenic Rivers Act - celebrate the 40th anniversary- BRT Insights 03oct2008.
• Trip report, Trinity River Wild & Scenic, kayaking class III, 29july2007.
• Trip report, American River Wild & Scenic, kayaking class I+ by moonlight, 30june2007.
Tags: river, river conservation, Wild and Scenic Rivers.