Saturday, July 14, 2007
McCloud River Upper Run
Whitewater River Guide & Maps - California.
River Flow Data.
This run is fed by snowmelt and springs coming from Mount Shasta (Siskyou County & Shasta County, California, USA).
River Difficulty vs. Flow Rate vs. Put-in Location.Different put-in locations can be used depending upon the river flow and the level of difficulty desired.
- Put-in above Lower McCloud Falls to run the falls and the steep mile of river just below the falls (~classIV at springtime flows).
- Put-in downstream of the parking lot at the lower falls to avoid the falls and part of the steep section. (~classIII)
- Put-in downstream at the medium-size springs to avoid all of the steep section. Follow the dirt road past the lower falls, park outside the locked gate, take the trail downstream along the rim of the canyon and put-in at the medium-size springs. In summertime there may not be boatable flows upstream of this spring, but below here should be runnable all year round. (~class II+ with one class III rapid in the spring - surprisingly more difficult at summertime flows class III)
Driving Directions, Distance, Estimated Time & Road Conditions.Mapquest provides directions, distance & time from your house to the river.
* From Davis, CA to McCloud, CA - driving time 3 hours, 23 minutes.
California Road Conditions (Delays or closures due to weather, construction, etc.)
* California Travel Information - highwayconditions.com.
* Road Conditions - California Dept Transportation.
Distance: 11 miles (3 mi on reservoir)
Topographic River Map, Road Map & Local Business Search.• The map below is interactive - click and drag on the map to adjust the location.
• Point or DoubleClick on the red markers below to see their names.
• Use the tool on the left to zoom and pan.
• Click on the Map button for a road map, Topo button for topographic map.
• Click on Google logo for road map & local business search (gas, food, camping).
• Full screen topo map and coordinates of additional landmarks - see below.
• Topographic map user instructions.
Topographic River Map.Full-Screen Topo Map: McCloud River Upper Run.
A=Put-in. Zoom out to see H=Takeout.
River Landmarks - Geographic Coordinates.
(A)(B)(C) locations are marked on the Acme Mapper topo map above, or copy/paste these coordinates into the search box at Google Maps or the Find box at Acme Mapper.
- N 41.25148 W 122.13844, McCloud, CA at Hwy 89.
- N 41.17265 W 122.12823, Friday's RV Retreat (& Campground).
- N 41.24048 W 122.00899, McCloud River Upper Falls.
- N 41.24332 W 122.00882, McCloud River Middle Falls.
- N 41.24445 W 122.02354, Fowler's Campground (BLM).
- N 41.24159 W 122.02506, McCloud River Lower Falls - put-in #1 (A).
- N 41.23977 W 122.02407, downstream of picnic area - put-in #2 (B).
- N 41.23456 W 122.02676, Little springs - put-in #3 (C).
- N 41.22935 W 122.04270, Big Springs (D).
- N 41.20514 W 122.06059, cement bridge (E).
- N 41.19163 W 122.06127, Wyntoon Cottages (F).
- N 41.18242 W 122.07031, Wyntoon Castle (G).
- N 41.15682 W 122.09141, Tarantula Gulch, Lake McCloud, take-out (H).
Local weather in McCloud, CA California.
Online River Guides & River Flow Data for Paddle Boating.• McCloud River Directory.
(Display options - alphabetical 100. See section 1.)
River Guidebooks & Webguides.
- Best Whitewater in California, Third Edition 1998. (pg. 98-100)
- California Whitewater - A Guide to the Rivers, Third Edition 1995. (pg. 259-260)
- Western Whitewater From the Rockies to the Pacific, 1994. River guidebook, pg 554.
Whitewater Trip Reports.• Upper Run, McCloud River, kayaking class III, July 28, 2007.
• California Whitewater Paddling: McCloud(III),Trinity(III) with Kenya - CA49rivers.
• McCloud River II-III - River Lover 02dec2007.
• Lower McCloud River - River Lover 21april2008.
• California River Maps - Atlas & Gazetteer by Delorme, 2008.
River Recreation Links - McCloud River.• McCloud River Recreation Directory. Recreation links for McCloud River valley area. (Display options - alphabetical 100. Section 1=whitewater, 2=rafting, 3=conservation, 4=fishing, 5=camping-hiking, 6=local-info)
• Using these guides to white water river paddleboating - BRT Kayaking.
• Rivers & creeks nearby: Sacramento River, Pit River, Sacramento River Valley Region.
• California Whitewater River Guides.
Tags: kayaking, California, river map, paddle boating, river, whitewater.
Comments: Post a Comment