Wednesday, March 26, 2008
Battle Creek - Coleman Fish Hatchery Run
Whitewater River Guide & Maps - California.
Recent Flow Data for Battle Creek.
Approximately 200 cfs are needed on the CDEC gauges near NF or SF put-in to get started down the creek. These flows combine a short distance downstream at the NF/SF confluence. Considerable water is diverted from the creekbed and is then returned just upstream of the USGS gauge near take-out. Thus, the USGS gauge below take-out registers considerably higher than the flow that is actually in the creekbed downstream from the NF/SF confluence.
Whitewater Rating vs. Flow Rate.class . . . flow (cfs)
III+ . . . 600 - 2000 (measured on USGS gauge at takeout)
Creek Description - Battle Creek - Coleman Fish Hatchery Run.This is a springtime rainy season and/or snowmelt run in the Sacramento Valley. Battle Creek drains off the western side of Lassen National Park in California and joins the Sacramento River between Redding and Red Bluff. The scenery and isolation on this run are quite good. The NF put-in offers a short section through a narrow volcanic canyon. The SF put-in offers some good playspots in a wider canyon. Some distance downstream from where a pipeline crosses the creek is a class III+ rapid, the toughest rapid on the run. There are lots of other class II & III rapids throughout the run. Spring wildflowers along the shuttle road can be spectacular. (Shasta & Tehama County, California, USA)
Driving Directions, Distance, Estimated Time & Road Conditions.Mapquest provides directions, distance & time from your house to the river.
* From Davis, CA to Cottonwood, CA - driving time 2 hours, 5 minutes.
California Road Conditions (Delays or closures due to weather, construction, etc.)
* California Travel Information - highwayconditions.com.
* Road Conditions - California Dept Transportation.
Topographic River Map, Road Map & Local Business Search.• The map below is interactive - click and drag on the map to adjust the location.
• Point or DoubleClick on the red markers below to see their names.
• Use the tool on the left to zoom and pan.
• Click on the Map button for a road map, Topo button for topgraphic map.
• Click on Google logo for road map & local business search (gas, food, camping).
• Full screen topo map and coordinates of additional landmarks - see below.
• Topographic map user instructions.
There is no blue line on the Map view (road map) for Battle Creek. Use the Topo view in Acme Mapper to see the location of the creek.
Full-Screen Topographic Map - Battle Creek.
Markers on the topo map show locations of some landmarks listed below (A & B).
Point or DoubleClick on the markers to see their names.
More River Landmarks - Geographic Coordinates.
Copy/paste the coordinates below into the search box at Google Maps or into the Find box at Acme Mapper.
* N 40.35544 W 121.63910, Battle Ck Falls.
* N 40.35021 W 121.66496, Battle Ck campground, Lassen National Forest.
* N 40.42400 W 121.98601, CDEC gauge on NF.
* N 40.40600 W 121.98001, CDEC gauge on SF.
* N 40.42447 W 121.98699, Put-in at NF Battle Ck and Wildcat Rd (A).
* N 40.40578 W 121.98064, Put-in at SF Battle Ck and A6 Manton Rd (B).
* N 40.42284 W 121.99768, NF - SF confluence.
* N 40.42627 W 122.00819, Baldwin Ck confluence.
* N 40.42160 W 122.01729, pipeline crosses the creek (C).
* N 40.40216 W 122.12996, take-out upstream from a small dam (D).
* N 40.40147 W 122.14497, Coleman National Fish Hatchery.
* N 40.39824 W 122.14629, USGS gauge.
Local weather in Cottonwood, California.
River Guidebooks & Whitewater Guides Online.• See online river guides in Battle Creek Directory.
(Display options - alphabetical 100. See section 1.)
Whitewater River Trip Reports NEEDED !!• I'm happy to post or link to well-written, whitewater boating trip reports from guest authors, especially if boating pictures are included. Please contact me to submit your trip report.
River Recreation Links - Battle Creek.• Battle Creek Directory - Recreation & Conservation - Shasta & Tehama County California USA. Website resources for Battle Creek. (Display options - alphabetical 100. Section 1=whitewater, 2=rafting, 3=conservation, 4=fishing, 5=camping-hiking, 6=local-info)
• Using these guides to white water river paddleboating - BRT Kayaking.
• Rivers & creeks nearby: Bear Creek (Shasta County), Antelope Creek, Sacramento River Valley Region.
• California Whitewater River Guides.
• California River Maps - Atlas & Gazetteer by Delorme, 2008.
Tags: kayaking, whitewater, river map, river, California, paddle boating.
Comments: Post a Comment