Thursday, June 19, 2008
Barking Dog Park & Surf, SF American River - California Whitewater.
Kayak Playboating & Whitewater River Guide & Maps - California.
Recent River Flow Data.
It takes about 3 hours for changes in flow rates at Chili Bar to change the flow downstream at Coloma.
Whitewater Rating vs. Flow Rate.class . . . playboating flows (cfs)
II+ . . . . . ???
River Description.The wave-hole at Barking Dog Rapid is an advanced-intermediate playspot well suited for the new generation of very short kayak playboats. (What is the best range of river flows for playboating here?) Put-in at Camp Lotus or various river access points upstream. Barking Dog Rapid is just a short distance downstream from Camp Lotus.
Converging currents below the wave-hole used to make this an interesting spot for playboaters who need to do an eskimo roll. Recently (2008) somebody has restructured the riverbed with a pile of medium-sized rocks to push the main flow a few feet to the left. This has weakened the converging currents and made eskimo rolls easier. It has temporarily steepened the hole making it even more challenging.
This is in a quiet zone with private property along both sides of the river. The island in the river is public land. To return to Camp Lotus just walk to the upstream end of the midstream island and launch your kayak for an easy paddle back to Camp Lotus. Or walk a short distance in the edge of the water back upstream on river-right (wet feet = legal; dry feet = trespassing). Then paddle the remaining distance upstream to Camp Lotus for take-out. Or paddle to take-out points downstream. (El Dorado County, California, USA)
Driving Directions, Distance, Estimated Time & Road Conditions.Mapquest provides directions, distance & time from your house to the river.
• From Davis, CA to Lotus, CA - driving time 1 hour 5 minutes.
California Road Conditions (Delays or closures due to weather, construction, etc.)
• California Travel Information - highwayconditions.com.
• Road Conditions - California Dept Transportation.
Topographic River Map, Road Map & Local Business Search.• The map below is interactive - click and drag on the map to adjust the location.
• Point or DoubleClick on the red markers below to see their names.
• Use the tool on the left to zoom and pan.
• Click on the Map button for a road map, Topo button for topographic map.
• Click on Google logo for road map & local business search (gas, food, camping).
• Full screen topo map and coordinates of additional landmarks - see below.
• Topographic map user instructions.
Full-Screen Topographic Map - Barking Dog Park & Surf, SF American River.
Markers on the topo map show locations of some landmarks listed below (A & B).
Point or DoubleClick on the markers to see their names.
More River Landmarks - Geographic Coordinates.
Copy/paste the coordinates below into the search box at Google Maps or into the Find box at Acme Mapper.
• N 38.80667 W 120.91862, Camp Lotus (A).
• N 38.80923 W 120.92121, Barking Dog Rapid (class II+) (B).
Local weather in Lotus, California.
Online River Guides & River Flow Data for Paddle Boating.• American River SF - C to G Run (II+) whitewater river guide. Barking Dog Rapid is in the middle of the Coloma to Greenwood Run on SF American River.
• American River SF Whitewater Directory.
(Display options - alphabetical 100. See section 1.)
Whitewater River Trip ReportsPlease contact me to submit your trip report. I'm happy to post or link to well-written, whitewater boating trip reports from guest authors, especially if boating pictures are included.
• McNasty at Barking Dog video - btupper123 24aug2008.
• Barking Dog playboating pictures & videos 12july2008.
Whitewater River Recreation Links - American River.• SF American River Recreation Directory. (Display options - alphabetical 100. Section 1=whitewater, 2=rafting, 3=conservation, 4=fishing, 5=camping-hiking, 6=local-info)
• River Surfing Guide - California & Nevada Locations for Whitewater Freestyle Kayak Playboating.
• How to use guides to white water river rafting and kayaking - BRT Insights.
• Sacramento River Valley Region, Whitewater River Guides for California.
• California River Maps - Atlas & Gazetteer by Delorme, 2008.
Tags: kayaking, playboating, river map, paddle boating, river, whitewater, California.