Tuesday, January 11, 2011
Klamath River Lower Runs - Flatwater and Whitewater Paddle Boating in California USA.
River Guide & Map for Canoeing, Rowing, Kayaking, Tubing and Rafting.From Weitchpec the Klamath River runs north-west to the Pacific Ocean, providing 40 miles of river with a year-round flow for class I/II paddle boating. This section of river is mostly class I flatwater. A few wavetrains rise to the level of class II whitewater, but flatwater boaters can typically find class I routes to paddle around these big waves if necessary.
Boating Runs on lower Klamath River - Humboldt County, Del Norte County.Run name (whitewater class, mileage).
1. Weitchpec to Cappell Creek (class I/II, 9.5 miles)
2. Cappell Creek to Pecwan Creek (class I/II, 9 miles)
3. Pecwan Creek to Requa (class I/II, 23 miles)
Real-time Flow - lower Klamath River.When planning your trip use the gauge that is closest to the section of river that you will paddle.
• USGS Real-Time Flow Data for Klamath River at Orleans. (A)
• USGS Real-Time Flow Data for Klamath River nr Klamath CA. (E)
River Map showing access locations for Klamath River paddle boating.• Map user FAQ. The map is interactive. Click and drag to reposition map.
• Use the tool on the left to zoom in and out. Point on the red markers to see their names.
• Map button = road map. Terrain = 3D shaded topo map. Topo = topographic map.
• Full-Screen River Map: Lower Klamath River put-in & take-out locations.
Geographic coordinates - Landmark name (marker on map above)
N 41.30257 W 123.53577 - Orleans gauge (A)
N 41.18664 W 123.70468 - Weitchpec (B)
N 41.28145 W 123.82300 - Cappell Creek (C)
N 41.34402 W 123.85617 - Pecwan Creek (D)
N 41.51269 W 123.98071 - Klamath CA gauge (E)
N 41.54530 W 124.07122 - Requa (F)
Many alternate put-in and take-out locations are available to enable flatwater boating trips of various distances.
Driving Directions, Distance, Estimated Time & Road Conditions.Mapquest provides directions, distance & time from your house to the river.
• From Davis, CA to Weitchpec, CA - driving time 5 hrs 8 mins - 280.88 miles.
California Road Conditions (Delays or closures due to weather, construction, etc.)
• California Travel Information - highwayconditions.com.
• Road Conditions - California Dept Transportation.
Nearby weather in Crescent City, California (elevation 55 feet).
Online Boating Information - lower Klamath River.• Klamath River Lower Runs Paddleboating. (Set display options - alphabetical 100. See sections 1 and 2.)
Paddleboating Guidebooks - lower Klamath River.• Ann Dwyer's Easy Waters of California North, 2000. (pg. 124-139, Cal/Oregon border to Ocean)
• West Coast River Touring - Rogue River Canyon and South, 1974. (pg. 74-90, Iron Gate to Ocean)
• Down the Wild Rivers- A Guide to the Streams of California, 1972. (pg.54-72, Interstate 5 to Ocean)
Lower Klamath River Trip Reports NEEDED !!Contact me to submit your paddleboating trip report from the Lower Klamath River. I'm happy to post or link to well-written, whitewater boating trip reports from guest authors, especially if boating pictures and/or videos are included.
Klamath River Conservation and Recreation.• Klamath River Lower - Conservation and Recreation Directory. (Section 1=kayaking, 2=rafting, 3=conservation, 4=fishing, 5=camping-hiking, 6=local-info) Klamath River valley outdoor activities websites.
Float Tubing - River Tubing - Innertubing.• Float Tube, Innertube, Tubing Techniques, Skills and Safety for your River Trips.
• Equipment for Float Tubing River Trips - BRT Insights.
• Klamath River Paddle Boating Guide Overview. Includes more whitewater runs upstream.
• Whitewater & Flatwater River Guides for rafting, canoeing, kayaking, and tubing in California.
• California River Maps & Road Maps - Atlas & Gazetteer by Delorme, 2008.
IceRocket Tags: whitewater, river map, kayaking, canoeing, rafting, river tubing, float tube.
Tags: paddle boating, river, valley, Klamath River, Humboldt County, Del Norte County, California.