Tuesday, August 19, 2008
Klamath River - Whitewater Overview.
Kayaking, Rafting & Canoeing Guide & Maps - Klamath County Oregon, Siskiyou, Humboldt & Del Norte Counties California, USA.Whitewater paddleboating runs on the Klamath River and its tributaries (Indian Creek, Elk Creek, Clear Creek).
Whitewater Runs on Klamath River - put-in locations and other landmarks.
Upper Klamath River, Oregon.A. Keno Dam to JC Boyle Run, class III+, 6 miles. (N 42.12956 W 121.94811)
. . USGS Real-Time Streamflow Data - Klamath River at Keno.
Campground (N 42.12379 W 122.04261)
JC Boyle Dam (N 42.12259 W 122.04935)
B. JC Boyle Dam to Powerhouse Run, class IV+, 5 miles. (N 42.11833 W 122.04907)
put-in (N 42.12150 W 122.04987)
take-out (N 42.09357 W 122.07107)
C. Hell's Corner Run, class IV+, 11 miles. (N 42.09109 W 122.07265)
. . USGS Real-Time Streamflow Data - Klamath River below JCBoyle Powerplant.
Oregon-California stateline (N 42.00744 W 122.18621)
Fishing Access #4 take-out (N 42.00686 W 122.18857)
Fishing Access #1 (N 41.96434 W 122.26238)
Obsolete Klamath River Dams proposed for removal.JC Boyle Dam (Oregon) ( N 42.12263 W 122.04823)
Copco Dam no. 1 (California) ( N 41.97946 W 122.33465)
Copco Dam no. 2 (California) ( N 41.97899 W 122.34016)
Iron Gate Dam (California) ( N 41.93451 W 122.43572)
For more information on dam removal see Klamath River Conservation Directory.
Middle Klamath River, Iron Gate to Weitchepec, California.(Note: some resources call this the Lower Klamath River.)
D. Iron Gate Dam to Scott River Confluence, class II+, 47 miles. (N 41.93451 W 122.43572)
. . USGS Real-Time Streamflow Data - Klamath River below Iron Gate Dam.
Tree of Heaven Campground. (N 41.83059 W 122.65845)
E. Schoolhouse Kayak Playspot..
F. Scott River to Happy Camp, class III-, 36 miles. (N 41.77831 W 123.03648)
Sarah Totten Campground. (N 41.78744 W 123.05280)
Hamburg. (N 41.78335 W 123.06061)
Seiad Valley. (N 41.84028 W 123.19193)
. . USGS Real-Time Streamflow Data - Klamath River near Seiad Valley.
G. Marquis Kayak Playspot.
H. Happy Camp to above Ishi Pishi Falls, class III, 38 miles. (N 41.79034 W 123.37738)
Ishi Pishi Falls. class VI (N 41.38328 W 123.49843)
I. Ikes Run, Salmon R to Trinity R, class III, 24 miles. (N 41.37800 W 123.49422)
Orleans (N 41.30399 W 123.53474)
Weitchepec (N 41.18664 W 123.70467)
Lower Klamath River, Weitchepec to Pacific Ocean, California.J. Lower Klamath River, Class I/II, 40 miles. (N 41.18664 W 123.70467)
. . USGS Real-Time Flow Data for Klamath River at Orleans.
. . USGS Real-Time Flow Data for Klamath River nr Klamath CA.
Tributaries of the Klamath River.K. Indian Creek, Class III+, 8 miles. (N 41.87757 W 123.42125)
. . USGS Real-Time Streamflow Data - Indian Ck near Happy Camp.
L. Elk Creek, Class IV, 5 Miles. (N 41.65970 W 123.31952)
M. Clear Creek, Class IV+, 7.5 miles. (N 41.73584 W 123.54572)
• Shasta River, class III whitewater run.
• Scott River, 6 runs rated from class I to class V.
• Cal Salmon River, many class II-IV whitewater runs.
• Trinity River, many class II-IV whitewater runs.
River Map showing put-ins & landmarks for whitewater runs - Klamath River.• River map user instructions.
• Full screen river map - see below.
Full-Screen River Map - Klamath River landmarks.
Markers on the map show locations of whitewater river runs listed above (A, B, etc.).
Point or DoubleClick on the red markers to see their names.
Online River Guides & River Flow Data for Paddle Boating.• Klamath River Directory - Recreation.
(Display options - alphabetical 100. See section 1.)
Printed Guidebooks - Klamath River white water.• Best Whitewater in California, Third Edition 1998. (pg 59-63)
• California Whitewater - A Guide to the Rivers, Third Edition 1995. (pg.228-243)
• Western Whitewater From the Rockies to the Pacific, 1994. (pg. 380-386, 410-412)
• Ann Dwyer's Easy Waters of California North, 2000. (pg. 124-139)
• Canoer's Guide to the Wild and Scenic Middle Klamath River 4th edition, 2006.
• West Coast River Touring - Rogue River Canyon and South, 1974. (describes Klamath River, Indian Creek, Scott River, Shasta River)
• Klamath River Access Guide - From Road to River's Edge, 2004.
• California River Maps - Atlas & Gazetteer by Delorme, 2008.
Whitewater River Trip Reports NEEDED !!Contact me to submit your Klamath River trip reports. I'm happy to post or link to well-written, whitewater boating trip reports from guest authors, especially if boating pictures and/or videos are included.
• Rafting the Upper Klamath River photos - crimdom 04sept2010.
• Elk Creek near Happy Camp - Klamath River tributary - North Coast Paddling 20june2010.
• Klamath River Wilderness Trip video - W.E.T. River Trips 17jan2010.
• Upper Klamath River video - High Country Expedition 26sept2008.
• Upper Run Klamath River - River Lover 12aug2007.
• Klamath River pictures - troopeighteen 23july2007
• Rafting the Upper Klamath River video - Living Waters Recreation 25feb2007.
• Clear Creek, Lower - Klamath Tributary - darinm feb2006.
• Upper Klamath River, Diversion Run - Jefferson State Creeking 26april2006.
• Upper Klamath River video - rafter1999 2004 pt.1.
• Klamath River pictures - mlzuschlag 10july2002.
Whitewater River Conservation & Recreation.• Klamath River Conservation Directory. Klamath River valley conservation websites.
• Klamath River Recreation Directory. Klamath River valley recreation websites. (Display options - alphabetical 100. Section 1=whitewater, 2=rafting, 3=conservation, 4=fishing, 5=camping-hiking, 6=local-info)
• Use of these white guides to water river kayaking and rafting - BRT Insights.
• Rivers & creeks nearby: Trinity River, Cal Salmon River, Klamath River Valley Region.
• USA National Wild & Scenic Rivers Program protects the "remarkable scenic, recreational, geologic, fish and wildlife, historic, cultural or other similar values" of the Klamath River and many of its tributaries.
• California Whitewater River Guides.
• North Coast California River Guides for Paddleboating.
Tags: Klamath River, California, wild and scenic, river map, whitewater, rafting, canoeing, kayaking, paddle boating, river.