Tuesday, November 27, 2012
Raw Flaxseed Crackers made in my Food Dehydrator
1 cup whole flaxseeds
1 cup water
1/4 cup tamari
* add water to the flax seeds and soak for 2 hours
* add the tamari
* spread 1/8 inch thick on solid dehydrator trays
I dried the crackers in my food dehydrator for 6 hours and then flipped the partially dried crackers onto a dehydrator screen tray. This allowed the hot air to pass over both sides of the cracker to speed the final drying required.
Flaxseeds are very high in omega-3 fatty acids, calories & fiber, and are very low in sugar. They also have a very strong anti-inflammatory food rating. In addition, flaxseeds provide some protein, vitamins and minerals. (Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Flaxseed)
Whole, dry flaxseeds can be stored at room temperature, but once the coats of the soaked seeds break open the fatty acids in the seeds can go rancid very quickly. Thus, I make flaxseed crackers in small batches, put them in in sealed bags in the refrigerator and eat them fairly soon after they are made.
I'm happy to get healthy flaxseed crackers into my diet because western diets are typically low in omega-3 fatty acids and fiber. These high calorie, high fiber crackers are intended for eating in small quantities - much less than the typical serving size for starchy crackers or pretzels made from wheat flour. "Institute of Medicine ... has established adequate intake amounts of ... one tablespoon of ground flaxseed" (MayoClinic) so just a few flaxseed crackers are all you need to eat every day.
• Garlic rosemary flaxseed crackers made in my food dehydrator.
• Banana flax crackers and banana walnut crackers, omega-3 fatty acid nutrition.
• Cranberry Walnut Flaxseed Cracker recipe made in my food dehydrator.
• Flaxseed Health Benefits, Food Sources, Recipes, and Tips for Using It - webmd
• Dehydrated foods for Indoor Snacks and Outdoor Activities - BRT Insights.
Tags: flaxseed crackers, anti-inflammatory food, food dehydrator, homemade snacks, snack food recipe, healthy snack foods, tv snacks.
Tags: flaxseed cracker recipe, anti-inflammatory, omega-3, raw vegan, wheat-free, gluten-free, hors d'oeuvres, appetizers.
Links to this post: