Friday, December 19, 2008
Smith River Wild and Scenic, California & Oregon - Whitewater Paddleboating Overview.
Whitewater River Rafting, Kayaking & Canoeing Guide - Del Norte County, California & Curry County, Oregon USA.
Put-in locations for Smith River Whitewater Paddleboating Runs.
Run name (whitewater class)(coordinates of put-ins & other landmarks).
Smith River Main.
A. Panther Flat to above Oregon Hole Gorge Run (class II+).
put-in - N 41.84226 W 123.93278
take-out - N 41.81438 W 124.04346
B. Oregon Hole Gorge (class IV+)
put-in - N 41.81438 W 124.04346
take-out - N 41.80176 W 124.05350
C. Hiouchi to Crescent City (class I-II).
put-in - N 41.79669 W 124.05461
take-out - N 41.89495 W 124.15242
North Fork Smith River.
D. North Fork Smith River (class IV).
put-in - N 42.00286 W 123.88276
take-out - N 41.84361 W 123.99483
Middle Fork Smith River.
E. Upstream from Middle Fork Gorge (class ??).
put-in - N 41.91976 W 123.76446 ??
take-out - N 41.87662 W 123.83141 ??
F. Middle Fork Gorge (class V).
put-in - N 41.87662 W 123.83141 ??
G. Patrick Creek to Gasquet (class III-IV).
put-in - N 41.87261 W 123.84367
take-out - N 41.84361 W 123.99483
South Fork Smith River.
H. South Fork Smith River (class III).
put-in - N 41.69323 W 123.92956
take-out - N 41.79150 W 124.02603
I. South Fork Gorge. (class V)
put-in - N 41.79150 W 124.02603
take-out - N 41.79669 W 124.05461
Map showing put-in locations for whitewater runs - Smith River.• River map user instructions.
• Full screen river map - see below.
Full-Screen Road & Topographic Maps: Smith River put-in locations.
Markers on the topo map show locations of put-ins listed above (A, B, etc.).
Point or DoubleClick on the markers to see their names.
Online River Guides & River Flow Data for Paddle Boating.• Smith River Whitewater Paddleboating Directory.
(Display options - alphabetical 100. See section 1.)
Printed Guide Books for Smith River White Water.• West Coast River Touring - Rogue River Canyon and South, 1974. (pg. 67-73)
• Ann Dwyer's Easy Waters of California North, 2000. (pg. 150-153)
• Best Whitewater in California, Third Edition 1998. (pg 67-74)
• California Whitewater - A Guide to the Rivers, Third Edition 1995. (pg.244-253)
• Western Whitewater From the Rockies to the Pacific, 1994. (pg. 389-392)
• California River Maps - Atlas & Gazetteer by Delorme, 2008.
Smith River - Adventure Stories & Trip Reports NEEDED !!• Please contact me to send in your Smith River trip report. I'm eager to post or link to paddleboating trip stories from guest authors, especially if whitewater boating pictures and/or videos are included.
• Wheels & Water: NF Smith River 15march2010
• Rafting the Smith River - All Outdoors 23feb2008.
• Smith River MF III-IV - darinm 29nov2005.
• Smith River NF III-IV - darinm 29nov2005.
• Smith River SF Lower Gorge III-IV - darinm 29nov2005.
• Smith River SF Upper Gorge - darinm 29nov2005.
• Smith River NF - oregonkayaking 2002.
• Smith River, Oregon Hole Gorge - oregonkayaking 2001.
• Smith River, Lower South Fork Gorge - oregonkayaking 2002.
• Oregon Hole at 80000 cfs - oregonkayaking 09dec2004.
• Flood Stage Kayaking video - paulgamache 30aug2006.
• Smith River Triple Crown video - oldcore14 20feb2008.
• Team Kettle Chips: Big water on the Smith River, CA 14jan2008.
Whitewater River Conservation & Recreation.• Smith River is preserved within the Wild & Scenic Rivers USA National Program.
• Smith River Watershed Directory - Environmental Conservation & Recreation. Smith River valley websites. (Display options - alphabetical 100. Section 1=kayaking-canoeing, 2=rafting, 3=conservation, 4=fishing, 5=hiking-camping, 6=local-resources)
• How to use whitewater river paddleboating guides - BRT Kayaking.
• Rivers & creeks nearby: Klamath River, Redwood Creek.
• North Coast California River Guides for Paddleboating.
• Paddle Boating Guides for Whitewater Rivers in California .
Tags: Smith River, California, Wild and Scenic, whitewater, river, river map, canoeing, rafting, kayaking, paddle boating.