Tuesday, August 14, 2007
American River SF - Gorge Run
Whitewater River Guide & Maps - California.
River Flow Data.
It takes about 3 hours for changes in flow rates at Chili Bar to change the flow downstream at Coloma, so it may take over 4 hours for the flow to reach Greenwood.
Recent water level in Folsom Reservoir. River flow extends all the way to take-out when the reservoir level is at or below 423 feet. When levels are higher the reservoir will extend upstream, sometimes far enough to cover Surprise Rapid.
How low must the level be to uncover Salmon Falls rapid downstream of the bridge?
River Difficulty vs. Flow Rate.class * flow (cfs)
IV >8000 Wintertime flood flows.
Description - American River SF - Gorge Run.Dependable summertime flows from dam releases make this whitewater section of river very popular for rafters and kayakers. Higher flows in winter and spring are a whoop-de-doo for big water boaters. (El Dorado County, California, USA).
Distance: Greenwood Creek to Salmon Falls _____ miles.
Driving Directions, Distance, Estimated Time & Road Conditions.Mapquest provides directions, distance & time from your house to the river.
* From Davis, CA to Coloma, CA - driving time 1 hour, 7 minutes.
California Road Conditions (Delays or closures due to weather, construction, etc.)
* California Travel Information - highwayconditions.com.
* Road Conditions - California Dept Transportation.
Topographic River Map, Road Map & Local Business Search.• The map below is interactive - click and drag on the map to adjust the location.
• Point or DoubleClick on the red markers below to see their names.
• Use the tool on the left to zoom and pan.
• Click on the Map button for a road map, Topo button for topographic map.
• Click on Google logo for road map & local business search (gas, food, camping).
• Full screen topo map and coordinates of additional landmarks - see below.
• Topographic map user instructions.
Topographic River Map - with river features marked.Full-Screen Topo Map: SF American River Gorge Run. Try both the Map view and the Topo view on the maps!!
River Landmarks - Geographic Coordinates.(A)(B)(C) locations are marked on the Acme Mapper topo map above.
* N 38.80440 W 120.90703, Rafter's put-in, Henningson-Lotus Park
* N 38.80667 W 120.91862, Rafter's put-in, Camp Lotus
* N 38.82436 W 120.94576, Kayaker's put-in, Greenwood Creek (A)
* N 38.81838 W 120.94797, Cable Car rapid (II)
* N 38.81967 W 120.95518, Composting Toilet #1 - Lunch spot
* N 38.79381 W 120.98211, Composting Toilet #2 - Lunch spot
* N 38.80602 W 120.97085, Fowler's Rock rapid (III) (B)
* N 38.80601 W 120.97404, Upper Haystack Canyon (II)
* N 38.80626 W 120.97593, Lost Hat rapid (III-) (C)
* N 38.80607 W 120.97675, Satan's Cesspool (III+) (D)
* N 38.80590 W 120.97836, Son of Satan's (III) (E)
* N 38.79569 W 120.98108, Scissors rapid (III) (F)
* N 38.76878 W 121.00091, Lower Haystack Canyon (II+)
* N 38.76379 W 121.00805, Bouncing Rock rapid (II+)
* N 38.76392 W 121.00771, Pre-Op rapid (II+)
* N 38.76379 W 121.00805, Hospital Bar rapid (III) (G)
* N 38.76466 W 121.01226, Recovery Room rapid (II+)
* N 38.77456 W 121.01556, Surprise rapid (II+)
* N 38.77329 W 121.03525, Take-out, Salmon Falls bridge (H)
(Major rapids on the run are rated above at low-med flows.)
Copy/paste these coordinates into the Search box at Google Maps or into the Find box at ACME Mapper.
Local weather in Coloma, California.
Online River Guides & River Flow Data for Paddle Boating.• So. American - At Chili Bar - CA Sierra West Slope - Dreamflows.
• American River SF Directory.
(Display options - alphabetical 100. See section 1.)
Printed Guidebooks - American River white water.* Paddling Northern California, Charlie Pike 2001. (pp 229-230)
* Best Whitewater in California, Third Edition 1998. (pg 181)
* California Whitewater - A Guide to the Rivers, Third Edition 1995. (pg 104-111)
* Western Whitewater From the Rockies to the Pacific, 1994. River guidebook, pg 355.
* The American River: North, Middle & South Forks, 1989.
• California River Maps - Atlas & Gazetteer by Delorme, 2008.
Whitewater Trip Reports.• Gorge Run, American River SF, California kayaking class III, 28june2008.
• Gorge Run, American River SF, kayaking class III, 07june2008.
• Gorge Run, American River SF, kayaking class III, 22mar2008.
• Gorge Run, American River SF, kayaking class III, 16mar2008.
• Gorge Run, American River SF, kayaking class III, 26jan2008.
• Gorge Run, American River SF, kayaking class III, Aug 11, 2007.
• Gorge Run, SF American River, Oct 28, 2006 (III).
River Recreation Links - SF American River.
• SF American River Recreation Directory. (Display options - alphabetical 100. Section 1=whitewater, 2=rafting, 3=conservation, 4=fishing, 5=camping-hiking, 6=local-info)
• Using these guides to white water river paddleboating - BRT Kayaking.
• Rivers & creeks nearby: American River NF/MF, American River SF, Cosumnes River, Sacramento River Valley Region.
• California Whitewater River Guides.
Tags: kayaking, California, river map, paddle boating, river, American River, whitewater.
Vehicle break-ins at Salmon Falls takeout. 03aug2010 from the UCD kayakers listserve: "I was involved in a private trip on saturday and we ended at salmon falls. Yet unfortunately there were more car break ins. In this case an escalade had their back windows broken and his shorts stolen. They were obviously hoping the shorts would contain a wallet in thim. This hasnt been the first time this has happened at salmon falls. If you do decide to park at salmon falls please be careful and hide everything. Give them no reason to break into your cars."Post a Comment