Saturday, September 22, 2007
Cache Creek Wilderness Run, Lake County, California
Whitewater River Guide & Maps - California
Flow on NF Cache Creek at put-in.
Add up the release from Indian Valley Reservoir and your best guess about additional runoff from recent rains.
Flow on Cache Creek at Rumsey - downstream of the take-out.
The gauge at Rumsey has been unreliable in recent years. A second method of estimating the flow on the Rumsey Run is to add the release from Indian Valley Reservoir (above) with the discharge from Clear Lake into Cache Creek. Another flow estimate by Dreamflows probably uses a similar method.
River Difficulty vs. Flow Rate.class * flow (cfs)
IV 3000-15000 winter-time flood flows, isolation & strainer hazards
Description - Cache Creek Wilderness Run.Rainy season flows enable this run to be boated in winter and spring of years with sufficient precipitation. At put-in on the NF Cache Ck the flow of a few hundred cfs needed to float the initial section depends upon recent rainfall and/or the release from Indian Valley Reservoir. Then a flow of one or more thousand cfs in Cache Ck is needed to float the rest of this rather long run before the daylight runs out on a short winter day. Distance: 17 miles. California's Wild and Scenic Rivers System protects this section of Cache Creek. (Lake County, California, USA)
Driving Directions, Distance, Estimated Time & Road Conditions.Mapquest provides directions, distance & time from your house to the river.
* From Davis, CA to Rumsey, CA - driving time 1 hour, 2 minutes.
California Road Conditions (Delays or closures due to weather, construction, etc.)
* California Travel Information - highwayconditions.com.
* Road Conditions - California Dept Transportation.
Topographic River Map, Road Map & Local Business Search.• The map below is interactive - click and drag on the map to adjust the location.
• Point or DoubleClick on the red markers below to see their names.
• Use the tool on the left to zoom and pan.
• Click on the Map button for a road map, Topo button for topographic map.
• Click on Google logo for road map & local business search (gas, food, camping).
• Full screen topo map and coordinates of additional landmarks - see below.
• Topographic map user instructions.
Topographic River Map.A=Put-in. B=Takeout.
Full-Screen Topographic Map: Cache Creek Wilderness Run.
River Landmarks - Geographic Coordinates.
Copy/paste the coordinates below into the search box at Google Maps
or into the Find box at Acme Mapper.
* N 38.98840 W 122.54060, Put-in, Hwy 20 at NF Cache Creek.
* N 38.98103 W 122.50374, confluence of NF and main stem Cache Creek.
* N 38.94499 W 122.42186, Twist and Shout Rapid (II+)
* N 38.92723 W 122.37235, Buck Island campground and access point.
* N 38.92456 W 122.33783, Mad Mike Rapid (III-)
* N 38.92653 W 122.33294, Take-out, Cache Ck / Bear Ck confluence.
Local weather in Clearlake, California.
Online River Guides & River Flow Data for Paddle Boating.• Cache Creek Directory.
(Display options - alphabetical 100. See section 1.)
Printed Guidebooks - Cache Creek whitewater.• Paddling Northern California by Charlie Pike. (pg 134 - 137)
• California Whitewater - A Guide to the Rivers. (pg 152-154)
• Ann Dwyer's Easy Waters of California North, 2000. (pg. 202-203)
• California River Maps - Atlas & Gazetteer by Delorme, 2008.
Whitewater Trip Reports.• Wilderness Run, Cache Creek, Jan 22, 2006 (III).
• California Whitewater Paddling: Cache Creek (Wilderness, II-III) - CA49rivers.
• Cache Creek kayaking video
- yolohiker 11july2008.
River Recreation Links - Cache Creek.• Cache Creek Wild & Scenic - Recreation & Conservation Directory. (Display options - alphabetical 100. Section 1=whitewater, 2=rafting, 3=conservation, 4=fishing, 5=camping-hiking, 6=local-info)
• How to use guides to white water river rafting and kayaking - BRT Insights.
• Rivers & creeks nearby: Stony Creek/Grindstone Creek, Cache Creek, Bear Creek (Colusa County), Sacramento River Valley Region.
• California Whitewater River Guides.
Tags: wild and scenic, kayaking, river map, paddle boating, California, river, whitewater.
Comments: Post a Comment