Sunday, September 30, 2007
Putah Creek Lower Run
Whitewater River Guide & Maps - California
Flow on Putah Creek at put-in.
River Difficulty vs. Flow Rate.
|class *||flow (cfs)|
|II (IV)||300 - 1600||Class II whitewater and Class IV strainer hazards.|
Description - Putah Creek Lower Run.Easy whitewater with very serious strainer hazards. Good scenery and great wildlife viewing. This brushy little creek is not recommended for boating. (Yolo/Solano County, California, USA)
Driving Directions, Distance, Estimated Time & Road Conditions.Mapquest provides directions, distance & time from your house to the river.
* From Davis, CA to Winters, CA - driving time 22 minutes.
California Road Conditions (Delays or closures due to weather, construction, etc.)
* California Travel Information - highwayconditions.com.
* Road Conditions - California Dept Transportation.
Distance: 5 miles.
Topographic River Map, Road Map & Local Business Search.• The map below is interactive - click and drag on the map to adjust the location.
• Point or DoubleClick on the red markers below to see their names.
• Use the tool on the left to zoom and pan.
• Click on Map button for road map, Topo button for topographic map.
• Click on Google logo for road map & local business search (gas, food, camping).
• Full screen topo map and coordinates of additional landmarks - see below.
• Topographic map user instructions.
Topographic River Map.A=Put-in. B=Takeout.
Full-Screen Topographic Map: Putah Creek Lower Run - Acme Mapper.
River Landmarks - Geographic Coordinates.
Copy/paste the coordinates below into the search box at Google Maps or into the Find box at Acme Mapper.
- N 38.51318 W 122.09849, Put-in, below Monticello Dam. (A)
- N 38.515 W 122.081, CDEC flow gauge. (B)
- N 38.49364 W 122.02824, Take-out, Pleasant Valley Rd bridge. (C)
Local weather in Winters, California.
Online River Guides & River Flow Data for Paddle Boating.• Putah Creek Directory.
(Display options - alphabetical 100. See section 1.)
River Guidebooks & Webguides.• Ann Dwyer's Easy Waters of California North, 2000. (pg. 210-211)
• California River Maps - Atlas & Gazetteer by Delorme, 2008.
Whitewater River Trip Reports• See trip report in comments below.
River Recreation Links - Putah Creek.• Putah Creek Recreation Directory. (Display options - alphabetical 100. Section 1=whitewater, 2=rafting, 3=conservation, 4=fishing, 5=camping-hiking, 6=local-info)
• How to use guides to white water river rafting and kayaking - BRT Insights.
• Rivers & creeks nearby: Cache Creek, Bear Creek (Colusa County), Putah Creek, Sacramento River Valley Region.
• California Whitewater River Guides.
Tags: kayaking, paddle boating, California, river map, river, whitewater.
Reasonably fun for an idle half-day, but I will not take my kids there -- a foot higher water
level, or branch dropped from any one of a 100 trees, and it could have a serious strainer hazard.
After dropping a bike at Fishing Access #3, it was a pleasant 40 minute paddle, from just above the
Hwy 128 bridge, and about 90 minutes car-to-car with pumping, packing, etc... Worst was the ride back up with vehicles whizzing along the road towing
big boats where bikes have little or no pavement outside the white line. Not worth a 2nd run, nor
a longer drive from further away.