Monday, June 18, 2007
American River NF - Shirttail Run
Whitewater River Map & Guide - California.
River Flow Data.
River Difficulty vs. Flow Rate.
|class *||flow (cfs)|
Description - American River NF - Shirttail Run.This winter/spring run is fed by rain and snowmelt. (Placer County, California, USA). With 3 arm-ripping, boat-eating holes this is the upper limit of class II+ runs at moderate flows and a quick upgrade to class III if the flows are high. Distance: Put-in to Ponderosa Way 5 miles, to Upper Lake Clementine ~8 miles. The flow gauge is a few miles downstream from the run, so the flow that registers a little while after you take out is the flow you have been boating on all day.
Driving Directions, Distance, Estimated Time & Road Conditions.Mapquest provides directions, distance & time from your house to the river.
* From Davis, CA to Weimar, CA - driving time 59 minutes
(+ dirt road driving to put-in and take-out).
California Road Conditions (Delays or closures due to weather, construction, etc.)
* California Travel Information - highwayconditions.com.
* Road Conditions - California Dept Transportation.
Topographic River Map, Road Map & Local Business Search.• The map below is interactive - click and drag on the map to adjust the location.
• Point or DoubleClick on the red markers below to see their names.
• Use the tool on the left to zoom and pan.
• Click on the Map button for a road map, Topo button for topographic map.
• Click on Google logo for road map & local business search (gas, food, camping).
• Full screen topo map and coordinates of additional landmarks - see below.
• Topographic map user instructions.
Topographic River Map.Full-Screen Topo Map: NF American River Shirttail Run. A=Put-in. D & E=Takeout.
River Landmarks - Geographic Coordinates.
(A)(B)(C) locations are marked on the Acme Mapper topo map above.
* N 39.04104 W 120.90246, Put-in, Yankee Jim's Road (A).
* N 39.03605 W 120.90868, Rapid 3 1/2 (class II+) (B).
* N 39.01812 W 120.92038, Surf City (C).
* N 38.99996 W 120.94053, Take-out, Ponderosa Way (D).
* N 38.96745 W 120.97514, Take-out, Upper Lake Clementine, Auburn SRA (E).
(Major rapids on the run are rated above at low-med flows.)
Local weather in Colfax, California.
Online River Guides & River Flow Data for Paddle Boating.• American River NFMF Directory.
(Display options - alphabetical 100. See section 1.)
Printed Guidebooks - American River white water.• Paddling Northern California, Charlie Pike 2001. (pg. 214-218)
• Best Whitewater in California, Third Edition 1998. (pg. 156)
• California Whitewater - A Guide to the Rivers, Third Edition 1995. (pg. 122-125)
• Western Whitewater From the Rockies to the Pacific, 1994. (pg. 362)
• Ann Dwyer's Easy Waters of California North, 2000. (pg. 188-189)
• The American River: North, Middle & South Forks, 1989.
• California River Maps - Atlas & Gazetteer by Delorme, 2008.
Whitewater Trip Reports.• Shirttail Run, NF American River, kayaking class II+, 06april2008.
• Shirttail Run, NF American River, kayaking class II+ 22feb2008.
• Shirttail Run, NF American River, kayaking 07may2007 (II+).
• Shirttail Run, NF American River, kayaking 28april2007 (II+).
River Recreation Links - American River.• American River NFMF Conservation & Recreation Directory. (Display options - alphabetical 100. Section 1=whitewater, 2=rafting, 3=conservation, 4=fishing, 5=camping-hiking, 6=local-info)
• Use of these white guides to water river kayaking and rafting - BRT Insights.
• Rivers & creeks nearby: Bear River (Nevada/Placer County), American River NF/MF, American River SF, Sacramento River Valley Region.
• California Whitewater River Guides.
Tags: kayaking, American River, California, river map, paddle boating, river, whitewater.